Most space agencies and industry use custom or self-developed software applications to control their satellite missions. A prominent example is SCOS-2000, a multi-mission satellite operations system that is used for almost all ESA satellites. Most of those solutions are monolithic, large, complex, and use plain old software technologies, and they are closed-source.
Nowadays, however, a...
In this tutorial, we will go over basic topics about orbit analysis in a practical way, aiming to address some common misconceptions. In particular, we will cover
- How to visualize osculating orbits and ephemeris,
- What a TLE is and is not,
- How to fetch TLE and ephemeris data from open sources,
- How to propagate osculating orbits and TLEs,
- How to design transfer orbits and...